Windows - 1996
Also available on: Mac
Description of Diablo Windows
A new game mod allows you to play the game in HD: Belzebub. Some of the features:
- Increased resolution and support for panoramic screens
- Fully integrated with new windows systems
- Many user interface improvements
- New hero classes Barbarian and Assassin
- All quests which were missing from original game are now implemented
- Four difficulty levels available in single player
- New locations
- New special and randomly generated bosses
- New spells
- New character skills
- Great number of minor gameplay changes
Diablo has an addon available: Hellfire, don't miss it!
Comments and reviews
Deliman.(Poland) 2017-07-13 0 point Windows version
Sorry.maybe you know why option game as multiplayer is immpossible?Game give information : "unable to create character".
Rubshear 2017-07-10 0 point Windows version
Is there a way to get music and dialogue in there? That's like half the game...
Truly would appreciate guidance with this, since I love the game so much.
Saul 2017-06-09 0 point
Tania, I put you a star, because I want you to be my wife... it will be the next thing to do.
Diablo 2017-06-09 3 points
It's time to send 'em right where they belong, by hacking 'em in bits... Let's free Tristram now!
kyle 2017-06-09 -5 points Windows version
Every time me get to 3rd floor, me guy tell "no way!"
Tania 2017-06-08 -1 point Windows version
ok I have the iso, when I open it, there's something telling me to buy an app online to open the file. I bought WinZip, now what should I do?
john_doe 2017-06-08 3 points
Good suggestion with Linux to use VirtualBox or Wine to play Win-blows games.
btw I am very sorry for you...
You now there is still hope out there.
john_doe 2017-06-08 1 point Windows version
Thank you a 1000 times, you're the first who gives a real fix.
Duh! 2017-06-07 0 point
Beware of communists ignorants that says that everything with Windows are viruses, viruses are made with Linux OS, then released to attack Windows. I can say boo-hoo Windows users, to look cool. I prefer the easy ways that Windows let you install programs in your computer. Linux... extract, recompile... what else... uhh! I don't want to recompile the whole program to play game, just I have no time for this. Double-click the icon and play, very simple, no "sudo" or whatever... So, please let those who play games in peace, keep doing your viruses and annoy big entreprises, Linux boy. (You should be happy there's tons of people that steel Windows, or hack the software every day.) If you can't play the game under Linux, use VirtualBox or Wine, your Ubuntu or Fedora or Red Hat will not be infected.
Lies 2017-06-06 2 points
Theres no download just a Drive update installer that puts virus in computers
game-twe@ker 2017-06-05 1 point
Now you have the original files, I hope you will try my way, like I wrote earlier, if it works for Windows 10 it should work for you and DON'T FORGET the ddraw.dll it's necessary to copy it inside your install folder, or the game will crash.
game-twe@ker 2017-06-05 9 points Windows version
There is a step-by-step process to install and play Diablo - Hellfire with Windows 10 Pro (32-bit). (To install the Hellfire patch, you will need a 32-bit Windows or you can install and play Hellfire without the patch on a 64-bit Windows.)
Before proceeding to download Diablo - Hellfire and their respective patches (Diablo patch 1.09 and Hellfire patch 1.01) including the ddraw.dll this one is very important to copy inside your Diablo installed directory, or else Diablo will keep crashing, later I will explain how to troubleshoot that configuration file, so you can play the game on his maximum screen resolution, which is very close from 1080p (1650X1080 at 60 Hertz).
If you do not have a virtual optical drive, you will need one. Many folks around suggests to install programs such as Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120% for virtual CD/DVD/Blu-Ray drive(s), I prefer to use Virtual CloneDrive by Elaborate Bytes (very simple to install and to use and it does not conflict with games/programs that stop working due to virtual optical drive(s) installed.) During the install process, you check the .bin association box, you will need it to install Hellfire, at first the virtual drive will not see it, the last box on the bottom right you scroll down to All Files, and once clicked; you will see a angry-sheep icon, you select this one to install Hellfire. Later I will explain how to install it under a 32/64-bit environment.
1. Download Diablo the ISO version (631MB). The RIP version is Diablo already installed in a folder, both the music ambiances and voices are missing. The "Belzebub mod works great too, it's a no-CD patch that comes with few add-ons and gaming improvements. It slightly differs from the original Diablo but you cannot install and play Hellfire. This is for 32-bit Windows, it did not try it for earlier version of Windows, but if it works on Windows 10, great chances it will work with an earlier version.
2. Extract the files inside a different folder within Download folder or on your Desktop or whichever folder you like, but not inside C:\Windows or C:\Program Files.
3. Right-Click your virtual optical drive select mount, in the pop-up box you select the folder where you saved the Image File (Diablo.iso), when the file is mounted in the drive you will see the Diablo autorun program that will tell you to install Diablo or Spawn (the trial version) you exit the installer. Right-click on the virtual drive and select Open, then select setup.exe, right-click and select Properties, then you choose the Compatibility tab and you check "Run this program in compatibility mode for: and select Windows XP (Service Pack 2), then check "Run this program as an administrator" box, click Apply and OK. Close all folders, on your desktop double-click This PC, then double-click on Diablo, select Yes when it ask you to run Diablo.exe. The install screen should pop-up, then install Diablo.
4. Go to C:\Program Files\Diablo, right-click on Diablo.exe and click copy. In the same folder right-click and paste, select Yes at the pop-up windows. You will see Diablo - copy.exe, close the folder.
5. Extract the ddraw.dll file, like in step 2. Copy the file inside C:\Program Files\Diablo, once again click Yes when the pop-up window appears. Close the folder.
6. Extract the patch installation file, like in the previous step, then double-click on drtl109.exe (Diablo patch 1.09), click Yes to install the patch. When the patch is successfully installed the game starts, and the game won't crash (not supposed too, if the game crash double-click on Diablo - copy.exe, to restart the game). Before enjoying hours, you need to configure the graphics. When you are in-game press the ~ key on your keyboard, under Esc key (shift+`), the programs goes into windowed screen again press ~, and select Full Screen: On, then select 1650X1080X60 and press enter, and have fun!
The same way is done to install and play Diablo and Hellfire (no patch) under a 64-bit Windows except you install it in C:\Program Files (x86) folder.
7. To install Hellfire, right-click on your virtual drive and select mount, at first the pop-up window will not showing anything, then at the bottom-right corner click and scroll to All Files or (*.*), then select the file with a bin extension (HELLFIRE.bin).
8. IMPORTANT: THIS IS FOR A 32-BIT WINDOWS, YOU DO NOT NEED TO PROCEED WITH THIS STEP IF YOU HAVE A 64-BIT WINDOWS.
Mount the Diablo Image in the drive again, extract Hellfire patch 1.01, like step 2, double-click on hf101.exe, and click Yes to accept to install the patch.
9. Go to C:\Program Files\Diablo\SIERRA\HELLFIRE (or C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo\SIERRA\HELLFIRE) and double-click on hellfire.exe and play hellfire.
Be patient, follow these steps, if it do not works retry again, or use the alternative program (Diablo RIP or Belzebub mod) if you do not feel that patient.
kat 2017-05-25 2 points Windows version
alright i got the ISO version, installed it and directX
keeps saying "direct draw error" and never starts, any suggestions?
running Windows 95 virtualbox 256 colors
kat 2017-05-25 1 point Windows version
i got the RIP version and it wont run on anything
not windows 7, nor any versions of windows on my virtualbox
installing the ISO version now and see if that works
Orph 2017-05-09 -1 point Windows version
I downloaded the Diablo RIP for Windows, and can't seem to get it to run. I just get a message saying "Diablo has stopped working" whenever I try to open Diablo.exe so what do I need to do to get it to work?
FAN1234 2017-04-26 1 point Windows version
To Tea Hunter, you will need to get a program like Alcohol 120% or Daemon Tools Lite to install a virtual a disk drive, then you mount the .bin extension file and the drive reads it as a CD, then you install the expansion pack in C:/Diablo from your virtual drive. ( I suggest Daemon Tools Lite earlier than 5.0.1 version; downloaded from oldversion.com, it can read .bin extension files. Therefore; you don't need to convert them into .iso extension file).
I hope that helps
silver 2017-04-03 2 points Windows version
no music/dialog also screen turns fully black and cant exit when trying to turn off game. will not allow tabbing out or use of task manager to close or minimise. if not for the problem closing it would be alright.
tea hunter 2017-03-11 0 point Windows version
First, I haven't been on the internet in ten years. However, I've installed hundreds of pieces of software, into the XP environment. Just not much of the modern stuff. I downloaded Diablo into a C:/Diablo directory and ran the executable. The conventional game works just fine. But the original game I have no desire to play, as it is tedious beyond measure. [I've had the Hellfire-Diablo for years but do not currently have my disks available... thus, this option.] I downloaded Hellfire, but all I get from the .zip extraction is a Hellfire.bin file - which I have no idea how to use. Suggestions?
Dave 2017-02-26 -2 points Windows version
I don't get dialogue sound, or game music.
How can i make it work, and also is the HD version available here?
Windows 10 o.s
Pedrong Gubat 2017-02-25 -3 points Windows version
the game could not play in DOS box
after mounting c
it says "this program cannot be run on DOS mode
Novice! 2017-02-06 4 points Mac version
Hi. Downloaded the file for Mac. Now what do I do to run it? When I open the file, it’s text.
Anon 2017-02-04 0 point Windows version
To play Diablo without the color problem, try to open the Resolution Screen (Right-click on screen) and leave it in the background. Many guys say, this will solve it.
If not, do the following:
Create a .bat file (just create a new text file and save it as NAME.bat later) in the game directory with the following content:
taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
Start Diablo with that .bat file. It will simply close your explorer.exe, before the Diablo.exe will start. The explorer comes back, when you quit Diablo.
this guy 2017-01-25 0 point Windows version
woah! i remember this game as one of my earliest gaming experiences. so much fun and got to learn about story. which inevitably made me the kind of person that needs a story driven game. so happy for this.
Zac 2017-01-16 2 points Windows version
Loved this game. I have a problem with the video on this downloaded one, though. It installed fine, used img mount and worked fine. However, when loading blizzard logo and for the in game dash are all weird looking. It looks like old school dos vga, light blue/green/red colors. Game works fine other than the distorted and pixelated color. bad sprites? not sure whats causing this. I run win 7 and use clonedrive img mount. Also, the patches wont install either. Hoped that would help, but cant even get those to install? Anyone ran into video issue?
RandomJoe 2017-01-08 -1 point Windows version
It works fine on Windows 10 for me, I didn't need to use any fixes. Bnet patched it for me when trying to connect.
Wendon 2016-12-14 1 point Windows version
The downloads keep stopping, I keep getting "fatal network error." Is this on my end, or y'alls? I have good enough network speed to download steam games etc I just am having issues downloading from this specific file...
Bapho 2016-10-29 1 point Windows version
This game was and is still one of the best of it's kind!
I nearly crapped my kiddie-pants back in 1997, when I first saw and played it at a friend's place ^^
Today, I play it again with the Diablo 1 HD Mod (Belzebub - Download it here: http://diablo1.ovh.org/hd/?download ) for a completely new experience!
New classes, new enemies, new items (including rares and sets), new quests (which were originally actually built into the game but hidden in the programming code.) So awesome! Check it out - you won't regret it :)
FlipTripping 2016-07-15 2 points
This game was amazing when i first played it. I'm so hype about it being free :D. Perfect to casually have going while working.
rudolfoid 2016-05-07 1 point
The Mac OS 9 emulator found here works terrifically:
But both .sit files result in errors when they're opened in that emulator. The toast file doesn't work, and the other comes up with an error saying it needs a CD to run. If someone could fix this and supply a new file, it would be so great!
Installer Game of Games 2016-03-16 0 point
ops Now my issues is why don't you have anything on step by step instructions on how to play individual games... I downloaded the shepshaver whatever thats called and its not working... Never opens or anything I am running Bosc el capitan latest version of march 2016 so please advise what to do next.... its very important that i play this game I LOVED THIS GAME AND NEED TO FINISH THIS GAME ASAP.... it reminds me when i was back in the good old 90's and its amazing how we can preserve the games its a shame that the Operating systems keep chasing and fewer programs software whatever lets us play lesser and lesser oldie games....
any one know where I can find the Ripper for mac game?
mid 95 i think...
grimcow 2016-03-12 0 point
Hey everyone, Ive been trying to place this. Sheepshaver seemed to difficult to install and I did not have an OS disc. This one seems promising however!
I am still downloading a game to test it
coleos 2016-02-07 0 point
i downloaded this on my macbook and mounted it but it says its incomplete or missing a file. how do i get this to work?
combofate 2015-06-01 0 point Mac version
asking for cd when i launch game......even when toast mounted, shame
Lion391 2015-05-28 4 points Mac version
I was trying to install Diablo on my MAC with Yosemite 10.10. It wrote me that it's unable to open install file because it's damaged. How could I fixed it?
SquizzeyMacKnutts 2015-05-14 1 point Mac version
A free emulator for Mac OS 9 that runs on all versions of Mac OS X (at least, I have never had a problem doing so) is called Sheepshaver. I believe there are Linux and Windows ports now, as well, however, I cannot vouch for their reliability of those versions. I am a huge fan of all the Diablo releases and I have not had any trouble running Diablo 1 in Sheepshaver. Get info here: http://sheepshaver.cebix.net/#info.
MisterKaos357 2015-03-22 -2 points Mac version
So I guess you're supposed to execute this from ~bash right?
Ian 2015-03-16 2 points Mac version
It opens as a text file on my Mac. What program should I use to open it with?
Huck24 2015-03-05 -1 point Mac version
Someone really ought to create an older Mac OS emulator...
Hawk 2015-01-30 1 point Mac version
Does anyone know how to install this? I have an OS9 emulator but I can't figure out what needs to be put in the system folder.
NSMC 2014-08-15 -1 point Mac version
yea.... now i see why no one downloaded :( thy gave me two .sit files
CariME 2014-08-15 0 point Mac version
Probably because it's Mac only. I hope they get a PC version soon!
Write a comment
Share your gamer memories, help others to run the game or comment anything you'd like. If you have trouble to run Diablo (Windows), read the abandonware guide first!
Download Diablo Windows
We may have multiple downloads for few games when different versions are available. Also, we try to upload manuals and extra documentations when possible. If the manual is missing and you own the original manual, please contact us!
Just one click to download at full speed!
Various files to help you run Diablo, apply patchs, fixes, maps or miscellaneous utilities.