Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal
DOS - 1996
Description of Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal
In 1996, Blizzard Entertainment Inc. publishes Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal, a fantasy, real-time, steampunk game for the DOS platform. Offering strategy genre, it is now an abandonware.
Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal is an addon for Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness, you will need the original game to play.
Captures and Snapshots
Comments and reviews
gaviao 2016-10-07 0 point
Hi, I can't seem to make the BTDP expansion to work, must be doing something wrong. For the TOD i used these instructions:
How to, Windows 10:
1. Unpack the RIP version. Rename the unpacked folder to something easy like W2.
(I will be using path c:\games\w2\)
2. Unpack the ISO version and copy both .bin and .cue files to the new W2 folder. Not the folder, just the two files!
3. Start DosBox.
mount c c:\games\w2\
w2crack (And yes to both overwrites)
mount f c:\games\w2\ -t cdrom
Do this and the CdRom issue should not happen. This is because the crack changes the path in the .ini file to "nothing". So if your path is like c:\games\w2\Cd\ or whatever for the cd, it wont work and thats why most dont get it working via other comments here.
You only need to do the crack part once.
!! After !! that the standard steps would be:
mount c c:\games\w2\
mount f c:\games\w2\ -t cdrom
Would appreciate the help, thank's
Kahoyt 2016-10-05 0 point
@PEAN, and any other MAC users, Warcraft II: Battle net edition has both the original and expansion in it
D-Man 2016-09-22 0 point
In step #4, I meant to say "loaded", not what I actually said which was " loadedcdse"
D-Man 2016-09-22 1 point
Here is how I did it:
My game folders are:
w2cd = wc2_tod
w2 = game files (Game folder inside of wc2_tod folder)
wc2-btdp = wc2_btdp game files
Make sure wc2-btdp folder is in w2 folder
Here is what I did after that:
2) once done, goto step 3
3) Drag w2cd folder onto DoxBox (App Icon)
4) Once in Doxbox has loadedcdse, follow next step
5) type in cd w2 (warcraft games folder)
6) Run detectcd.exe
7) it will ask you which one to detect
8) type in detectcd C:\w2\wc2-btdp
9) type cd wc2-btdp, run setup.exe
10) Run war2.exe
11) Select Single Player Mode
Viola! It will be there!
- And the game should run perfectly, giving you the option of which
game to select.
To run the game a 2nd time after the intial run, follow steps 3-9 and instead of running setup.exe, just run war2.exe
I got a working version of BTDP from a different website, I don't remember which one though.
Ebb 2016-06-24 -1 point
If you mounted the folder c:\war2 the file war2.exe will be on your new root. Try pointing directly at the file i.e. c:\
Drex 2016-05-20 1 point
Okay so I tried following Proud's steps but when I get to the install from my virtual drive it keeps telling me incorrect or missing WAR2.EXW in directory. I've renamed my TOD folder to WAR2 to keep things simple. I've had no problems with the base TOD game I just can't seem to figure out how to get BTDP to work. I downloaded both TOD and BTDP from this site. any ideas?
SJB8450 2016-04-21 0 point
what if you get an error when you try to run the install ?
I keep getting an error because I'm using a 64-bit OS
Proud 2016-03-14 0 point
for those that need help with getting this to work hes what i did. used the RIP from WC2:Tod from here.
1.First mount the parent dir of your war2 rip to c: (i.e. my rip folder was c:\warcraft2\tod\war2)
z:\mount c c:\warcraft2\tod
2. mount the expansion image with your virtual drive program then mount it in dosbox ( my virtual drive is h:\)
z:\mount d h:\
3. run the install on the disk. if you put the parent dir for warcraft2 as c: then the default install path (C:\WAR2) should be fine (you may have to rename the RIP folder to war2 or you can replace WAR2 with whatever the folder is named)
4. now for the fun part (and the reason you need the RIP to do it my way). first unmount your d:
z:\ mount -u d
then remount it like this (once again my virtual drive is h:)
z:\mount d h:\ -t cdrom switch
now get into the RIP folder (once again this is my path and since c is mount to the parent already)
5. the important part. run the detectcd.exe file in the RIP folder for the drive you mounted you virtual drive to (in this case i mount d: as h:\)
WARCRAFT 2 DETECT CD V1.0 - by PiXIE 96/10/11
6. just type war2 to play.
now if you want to play the old campaign just mount the original image ( or disk if you have it) to d: using the same -t cdrom switch, do the detectcd and run war2.
Jaggy 2016-01-17 1 point
I need some help with this- can someone instruct me in how to make the expansion work?
chainsaw 2016-01-01 3 points
20 years on, and still better game play than most of the new games!
death_knight 2015-12-24 0 point
This is such a challenging and most entertaining expansion. An absolute must to replay!
Write a comment
Share your gamer memories, help others to run the game or comment anything you'd like. If you have trouble to run Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal, read the abandonware guide first!
Download Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal
We may have multiple downloads for few games when different versions are available. Also, we try to upload manuals and extra documentations when possible. If the manual is missing and you own the original manual, please contact us!
Just one click to download at full speed!
Various files to help you run Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal, apply patchs, fixes, maps or miscellaneous utilities.