How to play Apple II GS games
The Apple II GS was not very successful, unlike the Apple II. Very few emulators are still available and working.
Apple II emulators
Basically, you have the choice between KEGS, which works in old OS X version, Win32 and Linux, and a front-end for KEGS named ActiveGS, which is supposed to work in the browser or as a stand-alone application. The plugin is hard to install now, as Firefox and Chrome have strict security policies on plugins now.
Running Apple II GS games with KEGSWin
KEGSWin is quite tedious to use, but you should be able to use it following the following steps. In the video, I configure KEGS to run Arkanoid II.
- first, you have to get the ROM file for the Apple II GS, look for it on a search engine ;
- start KEGSWin and press F4 to enter the setup ;
- you will be in the ROM File Selection menu. If not, select the ROM File Selection in KEGS Configuration ;
- select the ROM file on your computer. Put the ROM file in the KEGSWin directory for easier setup ;
- save the config file before exiting KEGS configuration ;
- press CTRL - ALT - ESC to enter the Apple IIgs Desk Accessories menu ;
- navigate to tne Control Panel, then into Slots, then change the Startup Slot to "5" using ← and → ;
- save with Enter, then exit the Desk Accessories menu ;
- press F4 again, enter Disk Configuration ;
- press Enter for s5d1, then select the image of the Apple II GS game you have previously unzipped ;
- if the game has 2 images, set the second image file for s5d2 in the Disk Configuration ;
- save the configuration file for KEGS, then close KEGSWin ;
- launch KEGSWin again, then play!