Windows - 2006
Description of Barnyard
Description from the publisher:
Enter the world of NIckelodeon's newest adventure and bring the Barnyard movie to life. Battle the coyote invaders, tee up for a game of golf, target the bullseye with your flying chicken, and race around the open world on your speedy bike. Players will be able to explore a fully interactive, 3D world and prove they have what it takes to be the biggest party animal of them all.
- All the main characters from the movie including Otis, Ben, Pig, Freddy, and Peck
- Action-packed gameplay including bike racing, battling coyote invaders, launching chickens, truck driving, and more
- Open world environments such as Walnut Woods, Danweed Pond, and the Barnyard itself
There's a lot of mods created by InfiniteC0re, the big fan of this game. You can get the mods on InfiniteC0re's YouTube channel and also watch the video examples
How to play Barnyard Windows
The game has been tested on Windows 7 64-bit and Windows 10, works fine. Check our Guide and Notes for more details
Install & play guide:
- Mount the disc image. You will need the utility for mounting disc image files, like WinCDEmu, UltraISO, Alcohol 52%/Alcohol 120% or Daemon Tools Lite
- Launch the installation (if autorun doesn't work - simply launch the installation from Setup.exe inside the disc)
- When the installation process will ask for CD2 - mount the disc image of CD2. CD2 must be mounted in same virtual drive as CD1, so first un-mount disc image of CD1 and then mount the disc image of CD2. In example, if CD1 was in virtual drive G:, CD2 must be mounted in virtual drive G: as well
- Finish the installation
- Also it is recommended to install DirectX 8 from the disc (if you're using Windows 10 - enable DirectPlay, read this or this guide how to do it)
- Open the directory with the game and find Barnyard.exe and Setup.exe. Right click on both exe-files - Properties - Compatibility - Set "Run this app in compatibility mode with Windows 2000 or XP" and "Run as administrator"
- Launch Setup.exe to set the game's display resolution
- Launch the game and play. If the game doesn't work in compatibility mode with Windows XP - try to launch it in compatibility mode with other version of Windows (98, 2000 or Vista)
Here's also video guide by Nostalgia Realm
- The game doesn't have any DRM protection so you can just install the game and play it
- European version has the installer on 6 languages, including English, but the game itself has only 5 languages: French, German, Italian, Spanish & Dutch. You can select the language in game menu
- If the installation doesn't start - try to launch Setup.exe in compatibility mode with old version of Windows (Win98, Win2000, XP or Vista)
- It is recommended to install old versions of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for the correct work of the game
- Also it is recommended to install RAD Video Tools and K-Lite Codec Pack for the correct work of in-game videos
- The game works on DirectX 8, so if you're using Windows 8, 8.1, 10 or 11 - you probably will need to enable DirectPlay: Go to Control Panel, and select 'Programs'. Select 'Turn Windows features on and off', click on 'Legacy Components' and check the box 'DirectPlay'. Select OK, once the installation is done, restart your computer
- The game is using DirectX 8 and should work on any graphics card that support DirectX 9. But if you get error at launch - you can use d3d8to9 wrapper, it is simple dll-file that adapts DirectX 8 games to DirectX 9 renderer. Simply put d3d8.dll next to Barnyard.exe
- If you have graphical bug when instead of the ground textures you see sky textures - download 3D Analyze utility, press Select and choose Barnyard.exe in the game folder; then check
Emulate HW TnL capsbox and press Run
- By default the game works only in 4:3 screen resolution but you can run the game by using Widescreen fix. There's multiple options inside the archive, for different resolutions. Open the folder with your resolution and copy Barnyard.exe & Setup.exe, put them in main game folder, agree to replace original files. Then launch Setup.exe to set new screen resolution
- If you can't find your resolution or Widescreen fix didn't work - you can enable needed resolution manually, by HeX-edit of executable file. Read this or this guide how to do that. Here's also video guide
- The game also supports windowed mode but you need to enable it through registry edit. Read this guide if you want to play in windowed mode
- If you want to play with anti-aliasing and texture filtering - run the game with dgVoodoo. Just copy d3d8.dll from the MS/x86 folder, dgVoodooCpl.exe and dgVoodoo.conf to the game folder, then run dgVoodooCpl.exe, open DirectX tab and select the setting you want. After that click "Apply" to save settings, close dgVoodooCpl and run the game from Barnyard.exe. dgVoodoo is compatible with Widescreen fix, just don't select forced resolution in dgVoodoo settings
- If you want to play with controller - follow this guide. For Xbox 360 controller you can use Xbox 360 controller support fix by icup321
- For users of Windows 64-bit systems: if the game doesn't work after you launched it - open Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del by default) and check for processes Barnyard.exe and rundll32.exe. Close Barnyard.exe but don't touch rundll32.exe (it's a Windows app for running old apps from 32-bit operational systems, most old games running through rundll32.exe). Now try to launch the game again, it must work. Don't forget to close rundll32.exe process in Task Manager after finishing playing
- Don't forget to check PCGamingWiki if you have troubles!
Captures and Snapshots
Comments and reviews
Cameron 2023-09-04 0 point
it keeps saying save failed every time I try to save the game any way to fix this
Sam 2023-04-13 1 point
This is a great game and it's really fun to play and explore the farm. I love how the characters interact with you, it's like you are an actual character in the movie.
The game is like a very simplified version of animal crossing with fun mini games.
Write a comment
Share your gamer memories, help others to run the game or comment anything you'd like. If you have trouble to run Barnyard (Windows) , read the abandonware guide first!
We may have multiple downloads for few games when different versions are available. Also, we try to upload manuals and extra documentation when possible. If you have additional files to contribute or have the game in another language, please contact us!
Various files to help you run Barnyard, apply patches, fixes, maps or miscellaneous utilities.
Fellow retro gamers also downloaded these games: