Scratches (Director's Cut)
Windows - 2007
Description of Scratches (Director's Cut)
Scratches Director's Cut is an updated version of original Scratches that adds new content and some enhancements: it has an alternate ending; a new chapter "The Last Visit" in which the player revisits the manor ten years after the events of original game; enhanced graphics and sound design, and support for higher 1024x768 resolution; plus new gameplay feature "Michael Diary", with walkthrough hints and thoughts of main hero.
Scratches Director's Cut released in two variants. Originally it released on 1 CD, and player had to manually download the patch and Update from the Internet. Later the publisher released Second Edition on 2 CDs, first CD was including the game with patch and second CD was including the Update. The content in both editions are identical
How to play Scratches (Director's Cut) Windows
The game with patch and Update has been tested on Windows 7 64-bit and Windows 10, works fine. You may experience some small troubles when you play the game, check our Guide and Notes for details
Install & play guide:
- Mount the disc image. You will need the utility for mounting disc image files, like WinCDEmu, UltraISO, Alcohol 52%/Alcohol 120% or Daemon Tools Lite
- Launch the installation (if autorun doesn't work - simply launch the installation from Setup.exe inside the disc)
- DO NOT install the game in default path
C:/Program Filesfolder, better choose some other folder, like
C:/Games/Scratches, or on non-system disk
- After you installed the game - install the patch, it aims to increase the stability of the game. If patch installer cannot find the game folder - select it manually, by clicking "Browse".
- After that install Update for Scratches Director's Cut. If Update installer cannot find the game folder - select it manually, by clicking "Browse"
- Don't launch the game yet, first go to the directory with installed game and find scream.cfg file. Open it in Notepad and change
DEPTHfrom 0 to 16, 24 or 32. Save the changes
- Open the directory with the game and find scream.exe. Right click on scream.exe - Properties - Compatibility - Set "Run this app in compatibility mode with Windows 98" and "Run as administrator"
- Launch the game and play. If the game doesn't work in compatibility mode with Windows XP - try to launch it in compatibility mode with other version of Windows (Windows 2000, XP, etc.)
For Second Edition: do the same steps, but skip the installation of patch, Second Edition is already patched. Update for Scratches Director's Cut can be downloaded from our website, or you can find it on CD2 of Second Edition
- We recommend to install the game not in default path
C:/Program Filesfolder, but on some other folder, like
C:/Games/Scratches, or on non-system disk, because the uninstaller deletes the whole folder where the game is installed. So if you will install it in default path and then want to delete the game - the uninstaller will delete the whole
C:/Program Filesfolder, not only the game files!
- Most versions of the game are DRM Free and can be played without the disc
- Be careful, Russian version of the game is protected by StarForce DRM that can break your system! If you want to play Russian version - make sure to install NoCD before the first launch, instructions are inside the archive. Russian version is an ISO image with NoCD inside, that NoCD showed a lot of false positive warnings on VirusTotal, but it is safe to use. To install NoCD add the files in antivirus exceptions
- It is recommended to install old versions of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for the correct work of the game
- Also it is recommended to install K-Lite Codec Pack for the correct work of in-game videos, and OpenAL for the correct work of in-game audio
- On modern systems the game will show BSOD, so you must edit scream.cfg before the first launch. Open it in Notepad and change
DEPTHfrom 0 to 16, 24 or 32. Save the changes
RATEsetting is responsible for screen refresh rate. By default the game in Fullscreen mode works only on 60 Hz, so if you're playing in Fullscreen - make
RATE 60, for the correct work of the game. If you're playing in Windowed mode - you can set
RATEto your display's refresh rate, like
- When you launch the game you will see grey window - just wait few seconds while the game is loading
- If you have troubles with game not saving or you have black screen in various locations - make sure that your username is English only. Sometimes the game cannot make savegames when username is on another language
- If the game is working too fast, camera speed is too fast or you have movement problems - change in-game options: set Camera speed to Slow, set Slideshow to Off, set Alternate controls to Disabled. Also run the game in compatibility mode with Windows XP SP3
- If it didn't help - cap the game's framerate to 60 fps, through video card panel (Nvidia Control Panel, AMD Control Center, etc.) or through one of the apps that allows to limit the framerate (like RTSS or Bandicam)
- The game works only in 4:3 screen resolution. Do not try to change resolution in scream.cfg, otherwise the game interface will be broken
- If you have stretched picture in game - change your display resolution, set it to 1024x768
- If you want - you can launch the game in Windowed mode, just open scream.cfg in Notepad and change
FULLSCREENfrom 1 to 0
- If you want to disable background music - open scratches.res in HEX-editor, find
trck-mansion_1-F.oggand rename it to
- If the game is crashing or lagging when you enter the chapel: make the save game in front of chapel door, open that save game in HEX-editor, find is_chapel_locked=1, change 1 to 0; save the changes and run the game again, now chapel door must be opened
- If you want to play with Italian translation - download the fan translation from here (the file is also mirrored on our website)
- If you want to play with Spanish translation - download the fan translation from here (the file is also mirrored on our website). Also, check this guide if you have the game on Steam and want to install Spanish translation
- For users of Windows 64-bit systems: if the game doesn't work after you launched it - open Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del by default) and check for processes scream.exe and rundll32.exe. Close scream.exe but don't touch rundll32.exe (it's a Windows app for running old apps from 32-bit operational systems, most old games running through rundll32.exe). Now try to launch the game again, it must work. Don't forget to close rundll32.exe process in Task Manager after finishing playing
- Don't forget to check PCGamingWiki if you have troubles!
Captures and Snapshots
Comments and reviews
aubri 2023-07-24 0 point
My favourite horror point and click! Atmosphere, sound, tension.. all done exceptionally well! Interface takes some time getting used to but once it clicks, you'll have a hard time putting it down. Loved discovering little story pieces here and there and putting the puzzle together in my head. Really wish I could play this for the first time again!
ZwaanME 2023-06-08 1 point
Pretty good point & click adventure game from a small studio. The Steam version is unfortunately no longer available because the company that is holding the rights is no longer offering it. So I guess it can be seen as abandonware once again.
- Graphics are fairly impressive and atmospheric, music and voice overs are decent to good.
- Story is interesting
- Night time sequences are fairly scary and interesting
- Interface can be annoying, similar to Myst/Riven you have to click and go from node to node in order to move through the environment. Sometimes clicking will move you a long way, sometimes you have to take small steps in order to get from A to B. This can be disorienting at times. I just want to click on a door in order to move to the other room, but have to click four times in order to actually get to the door.
- The game takes place over the course of several days. Time advances only after performing specific actions, like making a phone call, looking at a certain object, reading a certain newspaper, opening a certain door etcetera. It's not always clear what you need to do in order to advance and it's easy to miss some of these actions which will cause you to move aimlessly from room to room looking for that one thing you have missed.
- Puzzles can only be solved with specific items, even if you have several items in your inventory that would also work in real life. For instance you have to push a key out of a keyhole and catch it on a newspaper in order to gain access to a room in the attic. I had several flat items with me that I could have used in real life in order to catch the key and also several thin objects that I could have used to push the key out of the keyhole but only two items will actually be accepted by the game
- Steam version won't start, I get a blank screen and then the program shuts down. I'm sure there is a solution to be found somewhere, but I don't have the time or patience to figure it out.
- Haven't tried the version on this website, may have a go at it later on.
TLDR: Pretty decent point & click adventure game, try it if you like these sort of games. Expect some of the usual issues like pixel hunting and moon logic puzzels, so keep a walkthrough ready in order to keep the pace going.
Ace_of_DiscaL 2023-06-07 1 point
Thanks for bringing such beauty to us!!! I'm happy the newsletter exposed me to such a wonderful game. Perfect!!!!
Write a comment
Share your gamer memories, help others to run the game or comment anything you'd like. If you have trouble to run Scratches (Director's Cut) (Windows) , read the abandonware guide first!
Download Scratches (Director's Cut)
We may have multiple downloads for few games when different versions are available. Also, we try to upload manuals and extra documentation when possible. If you have additional files to contribute or have the game in another language, please contact us!
Various files to help you run Scratches (Director's Cut), apply patches, fixes, maps or miscellaneous utilities.
Fellow retro gamers also downloaded these games: