Windows - 2002
Description of Test Drive
In 2002, Infogrames, Inc. publishes Test Drive on Windows. This racing / driving game is now abandonware and is set in a vehicle simulator, automobile and street racing themes.
How to play Test Drive Windows
The game with widescreen fix and dgVoodoo has been tested on Windows 7-64 bit and Windows 10, works okay. The game works too fast on modern systems, so you will need to lock the framerate to 30 or 60 FPS. For instruction how to launch the game on modern systems read our Guide and Notes
Install & play guide:
- Mount the disc image. You will need the utility for mounting disc image files, like WinCDEmu, UltraISO, Alcohol 52%/Alcohol 120% or Daemon Tools Lite
- Launch the installation (if autorun doesn't work - simply launch the installation from Setup.exe inside the disc)
- When the installation process will ask for CD2 - mount the disc image of CD2
- Finish the installation (ignore Infogrames registration window, click "Cancel" then select "Never register")
- Also it is recommended to install DirectX 8.1 from the disc (if you're using Windows 10 - enable DirectPlay, read this or this guide how to do it)
- Once you installed the game - install NoCD (simply copy TestDrive.exe from the archive and put it into directory with installed game, replacing original TestDrive.exe)
- Optionally you can install Widescreen fix that adds support of widescreen resolution. Widescreen fix also works as NoCD so you can use it to run the game without the disc. That fix has some minor compatibility issues, check Notes for more details
- Open the directory with the game and find TestDrive.exe. Right click on TestDrive.exe - Properties - Compatibility - Set "Run this app in compatibility mode with Windows 98/ME" and "Run as administrator"
Now you have two methods how to launch the game on modern systems. Note that for both methods you must have graphics card that supports DirectX 9:
- First method is to run the game with dgVoodoo. Copy dll-files from the MS/x86 folder, dgVoodooCpl.exe and dgVoodoo.conf to the game folder, then open dgVoodoo.conf in Notepad and set
FPSLimit = 60or
30, to select the game's FPS. Save the changes and run the game from TestDrive.exe. We recommend to run the game on 30 FPS because sometimes on 60 FPS opponent cars are moving too fast, since their speed depens on game's framerate. dgVoodoo is compatible with Widescreen fix, just don't select forced resolution in dgVoodoo settings. Also, with dgVoodoo you can run the game with anti-aliasing and texture filtering - run dgVoodooCpl.exe, open DirectX tab and select the settings you want
- Second method is to use one of DirectX 8 to DirectX 9 converters, like d3d8to9 wrapper, WineD3D or dx8todx9 converter, for the correct work of DirectX 8 on your system; plus lock the game's framerate through video card panel (Nvidia Control Panel, AMD Control Center, etc.) or through one of the apps that allows to limit the framerate (like RTSS or Bandicam). You must limit the framerate to at least 60 FPS (or even better limit it to original 30 FPS)
- Now you can launch the game and play. If the game doesn't work in compatibility mode with Windows 98 - try to launch it in compatibility mode with other version of Windows (2000 or XP)
- If the installation doesn't start - try to launch Setup.exe in compatibility mode with old version of Windows (98, 2000 or XP)
- It is recommended to install all versions of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for the correct work of the game
- Also it is recommended to install RAD Video Tools and K-Lite Codec Pack for the correct work of in-game videos, and OpenAL for the correct work of in-game sound
- The game works on DirectX 8, so if you're using Windows 8, 8.1, 10 or 11 - you need to enable DirectPlay: Go to Control Panel, and select 'Programs'. Select 'Turn Windows features on and off', click on 'Legacy Components' and check the box 'DirectPlay'. Select OK, once the installation is done, restart your computer
- NoCD is required for the launch because the game is using SecuROM DRM protection, which doesn't work on modern systems. That NoCD "breaks" DRM protection and allows the game to work on modern systems
- Widescreen fix is based on exe-file from NoCD, it was edited to make the game running on high and widescreen resolutions. You can select desired resolution in game launcher, if you doesn't see the resolution you need - you can add it manually by HeX-edit, read this instruction
- For unknown reason the game with widescreen fix may crash when intro videos are playing. If the game with widescreen fix is crashing - go to the game directory, open
Moviesfolder and delete/rename files Intro.bik, Publish.bik and Transition.bik. Widescreen fix works with all other in-game videos but has conflict with intro videos
- If you have troubles with missing traffic or other weird behaviour - change Regional format in Windows settings to English (United States). Go to Windows Control Panel -> Time & Language > Language & Region
- If you have troubles with in-game videos - try to use fixed binkw32.dll. It is newer version of binkw32.dll from RAD Video Tools that is compatible with modern systems
- Sometimes there's a rare bug of OpenAL when the game is crashes or the sound disappears in random moments. If you get that bug - try to use DirectSound - OpenAL converter, like dsoal
- If you have the graphical glitches or screen flickering - run the game through dgVoodoo or use one of apps from this guide
- Also, try to select default settings in game launcher - click on "Default" and run the game, see if glitches disappear
- If you want to change game's FOV (field of view) - use Cheat Engine and follow this guide
- For users of Windows 64-bit systems: if the game doesn't work after you launched it - open Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del by default) and check for processes TestDrive.exe and rundll32.exe. Close TestDrive.exe but don't touch rundll32.exe (it's a Windows app for running old apps from 32-bit operational systems, most old games running through rundll32.exe). Now try to launch the game again, it must work. Don't forget to close rundll32.exe process in Task Manager after finishing playing
- Don't forget to check PCGamingWiki page if you have troubles, it is very useful!
Captures and Snapshots
Comments and reviews
admin 2023-05-19 3 points
We have updated the game, added some fixes and repack by Magipack (easy to install, includes fixes)
SpeedWarriorGSR 2022-11-02 3 points
For those who are experiencing the "Over 8000/9000" glitch -as in faster than desired framerates during gameplay- on TD2002 you can cap those thorough your GPU's Application, both AMD & Nvidia (Not sure about them new Intel ARCs though). I've set mine down to 60 FPS, which is definitely it's sweet spot. Works on Windows Vista and newer.
-Tested with the TDOD/TD2002 Vanilla Widescreen Fix @ 1920x1080 on Windows 11 Pro.-
Muhammad Okky 2022-08-06 0 point
by the way, this game has a timer in the top. this will be just like arcade racing game.
I'llJustBuyThePS2Version 2022-02-14 -6 points
Since I still have my ps2, I'll just buy it for my ps2.
Perry Rhodan 2020-11-02 0 point
Here's a EU version with all languages. 6GB in size.
Diego 2020-10-10 2 points
for those who run the game fast follow this guide from pcgamingwiki.https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/TD_Overdrive:_The_Brotherhood_of_Speed#Game_runs_to_fast
Pedro 2020-10-05 2 points
The game is running extremely fast in my pc, making it impossible to play... How to solve this??
TK774 2020-03-28 2 points
the difference between the normal and the alt is that the alt had worked in my w7 notebook lol also is a 2 cd game in the alt version
The Swede 2019-07-30 0 point
Sorry for spamming this thread admin. LOL :D (But there's no editing your own post here).
The NoCd is NOT on the ISO! My mistake since i added into my own image.
Download it from here and you're up and running.
Again admin, sorry for multible posting.
The Swede 2019-07-30 4 points
Correction from "last post"... :)
The INSTALL language is ?????? (russian?) but you'll hopefully manage to install it anyway. :D
After install, do the following to get english ingame:
1. In your install folder, go to the folder "Anglificator" and copy&paste the folder "pres" into your main install folder (overwriting excisting files if asked).
2. Copy & apply the no cd-crack from the ISO and you'll get english ingame.
The Swede 2019-07-30 1 point
The languages in the ISO version is only ????? (possible russian?), french and spanish.
So no english in that version. :(
Makketakker 2019-06-16 -1 point
Both versions give appcrash while starting single player.
Tried all compatibility modes as administrator, enb fix , other video adapter
Write a comment
Share your gamer memories, help others to run the game or comment anything you'd like. If you have trouble to run Test Drive (Windows) , read the abandonware guide first!
Download Test Drive
We may have multiple downloads for few games when different versions are available. Also, we try to upload manuals and extra documentation when possible. If you have additional files to contribute or have the game in another language, please contact us!
Various files to help you run Test Drive, apply patches, fixes, maps or miscellaneous utilities.
Fellow retro gamers also downloaded these games: