War on Terror
Windows - 2006
Description of War on Terror
Here is the video game “War on Terror”! Released in 2006 on Windows, it's still available and playable with some tinkering. It's a strategy game, set in a real-time theme.
How to play War on Terror Windows
The game with patch and NoDVD has been tested on Windows 7 64-bit, works fine, the game supports widescreen. The game was using infamous StarForce DRM so make sure to install NoDVD before first launch!
Install & play guide:
- Mount the disc image. You will need the utility for mounting disc image files, like WinCDEmu, UltraISO, Alcohol 52%/Alcohol 120% or Daemon Tools Lite
- Launch the installation (if autorun doesn't work - simply launch the installation from Setup.exe inside the disc)
- Select English language in installer. Even though you can select 5 languages, you must select English language for the correct installation. You can switch the language later, by running SelectLanguage.exe in game folder
- Finish the installation
- Also it is recommended to install DirectX 9 from the disc (if you're using Windows 10 - enable DirectPlay, read this or this guide how to do it)
- Once you installed the game - install the patch
- After that install NoDVD (simply copy WoT.exe from the archive and put it into game folder, agree to replace original WoT.exe)
- Open the directory with the game and find WoT.exe. Right click on WoT.exe - Properties - Compatibility - Set "Run this app in compatibility mode with Windows XP" and "Run as administrator"
- Launch SelectLanguage.exe if you want to change the game language
- Launch the game and play. If the game doesn't work in compatibility mode with Windows XP - try to launch it in compatibility mode with other version of Windows (98, 2000 or Vista)
- European version has 5 languages: English, French, German, Italian & Spanish. You can select the language by running SelectLanguage.exe in game folder
- If the installation doesn't start - try to launch Setup.exe in compatibility mode with old version of Windows (Win98, Win2000, XP or Vista)
- It is recommended to install old versions of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for the correct work of the game
- Also it is recommended to install RAD Video Tools and K-Lite Codec Pack for the correct work of in-game videos (if in-game videos doesn't work - delete K-Lite Codec Pack, leave only RAD Video Tools)
- The game was using infamous StarForce DRM so make sure to install NoDVD before first launch!
- Once you installed the game, the patch and NoDVD - run Remove_StarForce.bat inside game folder, to remove StarForce drives. Make it before launching the game for first time
- The game works on DirectX 8 and 9, so if you're using Windows 8, 8.1, 10 or 11 - you probably will need to enable DirectPlay: Go to Control Panel, and select 'Programs'. Select 'Turn Windows features on and off', click on 'Legacy Components' and check the box 'DirectPlay'. Select OK, once the installation is done, restart your computer
- If you see black screen on launch or the game crashes some time after launch - go to
War on Terror/InfDXdirectory and open the file tdxoptions.inf, and change ShaderMode = 0 to ShaderMode = 2, to force DirectX 9 shader mode (0 = autodetect; 1 = force dx8 mode; 2 = force dx9 mode)
- Also, you can try to run the game through dgVoodoo
- If the game doesn't work on your system - run the game in Virtual Machine with Windows XP, that method works for 100%
Captures and Snapshots
Comments and reviews
admin 2023-04-18 0 point
Didn't fully understand what is your problem. Are you having troubles with Russian version of the game? If so, try to use NoDVD, it is attached to the archive with Russian version. Just replace WoT.exe in the folder with installed game
Write a comment
Share your gamer memories, help others to run the game or comment anything you'd like. If you have trouble to run War on Terror (Windows) , read the abandonware guide first!
Download War on Terror
We may have multiple downloads for few games when different versions are available. Also, we try to upload manuals and extra documentation when possible. If you have additional files to contribute or have the game in another language, please contact us!
Various files to help you run War on Terror, apply patches, fixes, maps or miscellaneous utilities.
Fellow retro gamers also downloaded these games: