Description of The Ancient Art of War
Before Dave Murry and Barry Murry designed the seminal The Ancient Art of War in 1984, best-selling wargames like SSI's Kampfgruppe bear no resemblance to best-selling strategy games like M.U.L.E. As a result, strategy gamers and wargamers are two secluded camps who don't speak the same language.
The Ancient Art of War united the two camps in one masterful stroke. Here, at last, is a wargame that wargamers would enjoy for the excellent engine based on the classic war treatise by Chinese philosopher Sun Tzu. Implementing tactics based on Sun Tzu's words becomes the key to victory. Strategy gamers were drawn to the game for its colorful graphics, the chance to match wits with 8 of the most famous military leaders in history in their most important battles, and intuitive command interface.
Here is your chance to challenge the goddess Athena, Alexander the Great, Geronimo, Crazy Ivan, Caesar, Genghis Khan, Napoleon Bonaparte, and Sun Tzu himself. As in the first game, battle locales are varied and historically important. You will wage wars in the Sherwood forest, ancient Rome, Asgaard, Custer's Last Command, Napoleon's France, ancient China, the Appalachians, and Mongolia.
The game, like chess, is simple to learn, yet hard to master. The lack of campaign mode is just about the only criticism I can think of. Suffice it to say that anyone who's never played this game is missing out an important chapter in the history of war and strategy gaming. Two thumbs up!
Review By HOTUD
Captures and Snapshots
Comments and reviews
Peregrino 2019-07-02 0 point
This is a true clasic that still retains full playability. Why no one has ever done a remake is lost to me.
About the campaigns included in the game, five are races to the enemy flag:
- Race for the Flags and Contest of the Gods are about learning to maximize your unit's speed.
- Pharsalus and Custer's Last Stand are about defending your flag while your side detatchment runs fast to take the enemy's. The lessons learnt in Race and Contest will help you to achieve the latter.
- The Spy is about maneouvering among the enemy troops to reach the enemy flag. Avoiding the enemy is an useful skill to learn for later battles. When you have an objective in mind, do not let enemy troops lure you away of it.
Sherwood Forest is a siege. You must take the villages to cut the fort from getting supplies and starve the enemy. The position of your flag is randomized in each battle, which adds a dynamic element every time you play this campaign.
The other five scenarios are wars of attrition where you must defend your forts to build up your forces and take over the enemy ones.
- The Rivalry, being just one fort per side, is the easiest to learn. Defend your initial turf and let the enemy burn trying to assault you, then advance and move down.
- Wu vs Ch'u is pretty straightforward as you begin in control of your forts and the enemy begins in control of hims, so you can move on inmediately on to seizing villages and starving the enemy.
- Tale of Three Islands and Islands of Doom require you to maneuver quickly at the beggining of the scenario to seize as many forts as possible, then you can slowly starve down the enemy.
- War in the Mountains is the toughest one, as the enemy can move faster than you do, will get a lot more forts than you to spawn troops, and forts produce food so you need to take the enemy ones by assault instead of besieging them. Beating this scenario takes hours of gameplay.
The Eleven campaigns included in the game are fun to play, though the real thing comes with the Campaign Editor. Once you master the game, including understanding how the different AI Enemies react to situations, and all the exploits available to the player, you can engineer a lot of diverse challenges beyond the ones proposed in the basic campaigns.
Azrael 2017-08-19 0 point
awesome! cuando todo era tan simple este juego estuvo adelantado a su epoca,, Warcraft???
SoulSoldier 2017-01-10 1 point
If the installation doesn't work, you can go to
It gives downloads for the Ancient Art of War for multiple platforms, and also gives the manuals and some custom campaigns. It's a really cool website, give it a shot!
SoulSoldier 2017-01-10 1 point DOS version
I just discovered it and it should work.
To create a new campaign, in the location where Ancient Art of War is stored, create a new directory (folder for you non-tech people) named floppy (I actually don't know if it's name matters or not). Then, on DOSBOX:
mount a c:/dos/artofwar/floppy
mount c c:/dos
Then run it. Go to the campaign selection and then create a new campaign. It should work.
Sun Tzu 2015-05-18 1 point Mac version
Thanks for this amazing game it brings back a lot of memories.
Unfortunately this download doesn't include Disk 2 ("Campaign Disk") that was included with the original, which allows editing and creating new game campaigns. If anyone knows where this can be downloaded please post a link. thank you.
Hawabaz 2015-01-04 -6 points Mac version
Wow. This is blast from the past. used to love BroderBund games. I really wanted to try this and its sea version again. Thanks for providing the link. Can you advise how to play it on windows 8? Is there an emulator or a simple way to load the game and play without bugs?
Thanks a bunch.
Fucking Animals in their asses 2013-02-26 -14 points DOS version
This game makes my sack hard and allows me to cum buckets.
guest 2012-10-03 -1 point DOS version
Review of The Ancient Art of War for DOS:
Aviad 2012-05-22 -1 point DOS version
I spent most of my time on this game back in the 80s. Brilliant !!!
Alex 2008-10-08 -1 point DOS version
This is the best RTS game ever made and no one has the hindsight to remake it?
Joe M 2008-06-06 -1 point DOS version
Oh man I used to love this game back in the day. Could be the original RTS game.
Write a comment
Share your gamer memories, help others to run the game or comment anything you'd like. If you have trouble to run The Ancient Art of War, read the abandonware guide first!
Download The Ancient Art of War
We may have multiple downloads for few games when different versions are available. Also, we try to upload manuals and extra documentations when possible. If the manual is missing and you own the original manual, please contact us!
Just one click to download at full speed!
Various files to help you run The Ancient Art of War, apply patchs, fixes, maps or miscellaneous utilities.