Windows - 2007
Description of DiRT
Description from the publisher:
DiRT blends death-defying offroad action, precision control, and the tricked out intensity of street racing into one visually stunning motorsports masterpiece. Choose from a wealth of officially licensed cars and real-world locations, then go careening through gravel, dirt and mud, doing whatever it takes to bring the trophy home. Real racing with real consequences. Stay in control or watch as your car dramatically crashes into a barrier and barrel-rolls, crushing every panel and spewing debris across the track. A wide variety of off-road and rallying disciplines to experience: Rally, Hill Climb, Rally RAID, Rally Cross, the CORR desert series, and more. Photorealistic tracks painstakingly recreated from real-world location photography and satellite data.
How to play DiRT Windows
The game with patch 1.22 has been tested on Windows 7 64-bit and Windows 10, works fine, the game supports widescreen. The game was using infamous StarForce DRM that can break your system. StarForce DRM was removed in patch 1.22, so make sure to install all patches before first launch of the game!
Check our Guide and Notes for more details
Install & play guide:
- Mount the disc image. You will need the utility for mounting disc image files, like WinCDEmu, UltraISO, Alcohol 52%/Alcohol 120% or Daemon Tools Lite
- Install the game (if autorun doesn't work - simply launch the installation from Setup.exe inside the disc)
- When the installer will ask "Register the game" - press No, because online registration of the game doesn't work anymore. Also, skip installation of Funsta app at the end, it is not required for the game
- Also it is recommended to install DirectX from the disc (if you're using Windows 10 - enable DirectPlay, read this or this guide how to do it)
- After you installed the game - install all patches (European version is already patched to version 1.20, so you need to install only patches 1.21 and 1.22; repack includes all patches)
- (If you get the CRC error when you try to install patch 1.22 - go to game folder, delete DiRT.exe, then install patch 1.21 again, and then install patch 1.22, it should work)
- Open the directory with the game and find DiRT.exe. Right click on DiRT.exe - Properties - Compatibility - Set "Run this app in compatibility mode with Windows XP or Vista" and "Run as administrator"
- Launch the game and play. If the game doesn't work in compatibility mode with Windows XP - try to launch it in compatibility mode with other version of Windows (Win98, Windows ME, Win2000, etc.)
- If the installation doesn't start - try to launch Setup.exe in compatibility mode with old version of Windows (98, 2000 or XP)
- The game was using infamous StarForce DRM protection that doesn't work on modern systems and can break your PC. StarForce DRM was removed in patch 1.22, so make sure to install all patches before first launch of the game!
- If you get the CRC error when you try to install patch 1.22 - go to game folder, delete DiRT.exe, then install patch 1.21 again, and then install patch 1.22, it should work
- It is recommended to install old versions of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for the correct work of the game
- Also it is recommended to install RAD Video Tools and K-Lite Codec Pack for the correct work of in-game videos; and OpenAL for the correct work of in-game audio
- The game works on DirectX 9, so if you're using Windows 8, 8.1, 10 or 11 - you need to enable DirectPlay: Go to Control Panel, and select 'Programs'. Select 'Turn Windows features on and off', click on 'Legacy Components' and check the box 'DirectPlay'. Select OK, once the installation is done, restart your computer
- The game supports widescreen 16:9 and 16:10 resolutions, up to 1920x1080 and 1920x1200. If you want to play in higher resolutions, like ultra-wide - you will need to edit game files; read this instruction
- If you have trouble when the game crashes after the race finishes loading: go to
DiRT/systemfolder, open hardware_settings_restrictions.xml in text editor and
system/workerMap4Core.xml. Save the file and try to launch the game again, it should work
- Or you can try this method: go to
DiRT/systemfolder, delete system/workerMap8Core.xml, then rename system/workerMap4Core.xml in system/workerMap8Core.xml (choose only one of methods, don't do both of them). Here's also video guide
- If you have lags on 4 Cores + 8 threads processors (like i7 4790k) - read this guide
- Also, you can download pack of ready fixes created by user Ben Rouge, it includes fix for multi-core processor + some config edits
- If you want to change FOV (Field of View) in game - read this guide
- If you want to disable bloom or HDR - follow the steps in this guide
- As alternative - you can install graphics mods (simple edits of game configs) that disable bloom and improve draw distance
- For users of Windows 64-bit systems: if the game doesn't work after you launched it - open Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del by default) and check for processes DiRT.exe and rundll32.exe. Close DiRT.exe but don't touch rundll32.exe (it's a Windows app for running old apps from 32-bit operational systems, most old games running through rundll32.exe). Now try to launch the game again, it must work. Don't forget to close rundll32.exe process in Task Manager after finishing playing
- Don't forget to check PCGamingWiki if you have troubles, it's very useful!
Captures and Snapshots
Comments and reviews
PCGAMER90 2023-04-11 2 points
To Trusteft: Midnight Club II is already on MyAbandonware, just type the name in the search bar, and you can find it easily. :)
FUEL isn't on the site just yet, but hopefully it will be added in the future.
Trusteft 2023-04-06 2 points
If you manage to add a couple more racing games missing everywhere, just legendary.
(FUEL, Midnight Club 2)
admin 2023-04-03 1 point
@VXR Changed the patch archive. However, Wacatac is mostly "false" alarm, antivirus triggers when you download the archive with exe-file inside and gives Wacatac error, even if the exe-file is totally safe and shows 0 warnings
VXR 2023-04-03 1 point
Patch v1.22 is detected as a virus (Trojan:Script/Wacatac.H!ml).
Downloaded patch from another source, no detection.
PCGAMER90 2023-04-03 2 points
Aw man, thank you so much for this! Had this game from another abandonware site (which sadly closed down) years ago, but I since lost the files. Now I can play Dirt 1 on my new gaming laptop at a higher framerate and resolution than my old PC. Good times are back. :D
Write a comment
Share your gamer memories, help others to run the game or comment anything you'd like. If you have trouble to run DiRT (Windows) , read the abandonware guide first!
We may have multiple downloads for few games when different versions are available. Also, we try to upload manuals and extra documentation when possible. If you have additional files to contribute or have the game in another language, please contact us!
Various files to help you run DiRT, apply patches, fixes, maps or miscellaneous utilities.
Fellow retro gamers also downloaded these games: