Windows - 1997
Description of Blade Runner Windows
Blade Runner is a faithful recreation of the cyberpunk classic movie of the same name. Those looking for a traditional inventory-based adventure will be disappointed with simplified gameplay that only requires a sharp eye and some reflexes, but anyone open-minded enough will enjoy a tremendously atmospheric and fast-paced game.
As in the movie, you play a cop whose mission is to terminate the "replicants," human-like androids that are wrecking havoc in their desperate attempt to extend programmed life span. There are many possible endings depending on your actions-- do you arrest the replicants or join their cause? There are also many action sequences in the game, but they are not so impossible as to discourage adventure players.
In short, Blade Runner is definitely one of the most atmospheric games ever made and a must-play for all sci-fi fans. Just don't try to pigeonhole the game into any category, and you'll have a great time. Thumbs up!
Review By HOTUD
How to play Blade Runner Windows
- Download the ISO Version and Universal Installer.
- Extract the ISO files and the Blade Runner Installer.exe file to a temporary folder e.g. C:\TEMP
- Mount the first ISO image, Blade Runner CD 1.iso
- How this is done will depend on the version of Windows.
- For Windows 8.1. and Windows 10: Navigate to the Folder C:\TEMP, double click on the ISO file and it’ll be automatically mounted with the next available drive letter. It'll appear in Windows file explorer as a drive, e.g. DVD Drive (E:) BLADE_1. (Note: If ISO files are associated with another application the file association will need to be set back to Windows Explorer before attempting to mount the file this way)
- For Windows 7: A third-party application will be needed to mount ISO image files, such as WinCDEmu. Install and then follow the instructions for mounting an ISO File.
- Once the first ISO file has been mounted run Blade Runner Installer.exe
- Click ‘Next’ and proceed to the installation options.
- Check the tick-box to create a desktop icon (if required) and ensure the ‘Apply Patched Files’ tick- box is also checked. Choose a preferred Language.
- Chose a Target Directory to install the game to, e.g. C:\Blade Runner
- Check that the Drive letter next to the CD icon matches the mapped drive for the Blade Runner CD 1.iso e.g. E:\
- Click Install and the message ‘Matching files were found. Setup is starting now…’ should appear. Click ‘OK’.
- The first disk will begin to install. Once complete it will ask “Please Insert Disc 2”
- Return to the drive list in Windows Explorer. Right click DVD Drive (E:) BLADE_1. and select ‘Eject’.
- Navigate to the Folder C:\TEMP, double click on the next ISO file, (Blade Runner CD 2) and mount it as before. DVD Drive (E:) BLADE_2. will now appear as a drive in Windows Explorer.
- Return to the Installer message “Please Insert Disc 2” and click ‘OK’. Disk 2. will now install.
- Repeat the steps to eject and mount the disks until all four disks have been installed.
- Once complete the installer will display a message regarding a file HDFRAMES.DAT available at replaying.de (mirrored on this page). Download the file as it is necessary to display the sprites and images from Discs 2, 3. and 4.
- Once downloaded extract HDFRAMES.DAT to C:\Blade Runner. Overwrite the (smaller) existing file when prompted.
- Launch Blade Runner using BLADE2012.EXE. Select Spielen (Play) to begin.
- You can now delete the files in C:\TEMP (Note: The Installer includes the Patch and CPU Fix)
Comments and reviews
Tex Murphy 2019-01-01 0 point
If you're crashing to the desktop a few seconds into loading, make sure the first CD is still mounted.
Despite step #19 stating that you can delete the setup files, this does not seem to be the case. You need to keep the CD iso files.
i played this game too 2018-12-11 0 point
works fine with windows 10 ., just follow the instructions as stated above ,thank you so much
MadHatter 2018-11-30 1 point
Hi, I've some problems with this game.
When I install the game in italian language, blade.exe starts, then the screen goes blank, then the game crash and goes back to desktop. Only in italian, I tried to install with english and it works fine.
Dr. Smut 2018-09-25 1 point
Fantastic game, best point and click adventure by far. Amazing story and atmosphere with the just the right amount of 90's cheese. Although it can be a real pain to actually get working...
Obviously, make sure you have all of the patches and such downloaded and in the game directory. I'm using Win10 so i ran the game in the lowest quality, doesn't matter considering the game is all pixel art) and and compatibility for Win8.1, take this with a grain of salt though as it seems to be different for everybody. You'll also need an installer to basically fix the game. The installer is crappy and WILL take a few times to correctly install the game. Remember to mount one of the CDs(the .iso file) every time you want to play the game, otherwise i simply won't launch.
tapkcir 2018-09-07 0 point
@SHANNON "Hey the game works but for some reason the screen is really tiny. any idea on how to fix this?"
I have the exact same issue....but on my external monitor (42" sony bravia tv)
Seems to run full screen on my PC, but remains same size when displayed on my PC (pc is a 17" monitor, so the image is 17" on a 42" screen)
Any advice would be appreciated
Jay Carey 2018-08-31 1 point
It's games like this that need remastering instead of the tripe developers are coming out with these days. The Gaming generation of today have no idea what great games and stories and immersion came from the last generation.
Officer K 2018-08-01 0 point
If you are still having issues with the game crashing a few seconds after launch, try mounting one of the iso files so that your machine thinks it has an optical drive. This solved the issue for me since I do not have a physical optical drive.
I found this solution in the comments here: https://www.replaying.de/files/blade-runner-patch-windows-vista-7-8-x64/
niki 2018-07-20 1 point
Just played the game, it was fantastic! Worked perfectly on Win7 (64). To uninstall the game do I simply erase the files? There is no option to uninstall it via the control panel.
Andy 2018-07-17 0 point
Could anyone give guidance as to what order I need to install the patch and the 2 fixes from the bottom of this page?
Just downloading the main ISO now and I have the 4 files from the bottom, I see what I need to do with the HDFRAMES but what is the order and how the others.
Robert 2018-06-01 1 point
The same issue - game crashes after 3-4 secs when trying to run in on a laptop with Core i5 processor. Black screen and a "unknown" error message. The game runs ok on a laptop with Core i3 and desktop AMD FX8350. Probably depends on hardware, not software.
Roxorian 2018-05-25 0 point
@Highflier, did you change anything else? For me, the game still crashes after 4-10 seconds, depending on the compatibility mode I choose (tried everything from Win95 to Win7)...
RBD 2018-05-21 0 point
I'm also having the same problem as Shannon. Game runs fine but only in the top left hand corner of the screen and menus are impossible to read. I tried a few different compatibility/resolution options without success. Anybody know of a fix?
HighFlyer 2018-05-20 0 point
Hi @Roxorian & @BionicDog. I didn't get blade2012.exe file either. As I am running Windows 10, I followed a comment on replaying.de and set the High DPI Scaling override setting to Application on Compatibility Settings of blade.exe and it now works fine (crashed after 4 secs without). Steps...
1. Right-click blade.exe in your chosen installation folder and select Properties
2. Select the Compatibility tab. Near the bottom of the dialog is a button 'Change high DPI settings' - click it.
3. On the next dialog near the bottom is the High DPI Scaling override section. Check the Override high DPI scaling bevaviour box and then for 'Scaling performed by:' select Application.
4. Click OK
5. Click OK
6. Run blade.exe and enjoy (I hope!)
Roxorian 2018-05-13 0 point
To follow up on @BionicDog, I too do not get a BLADE2012.exe file. Although the installer seems to install just fine, it doesn't create a BLADE2012.exe file, just the BLADE.exe. The latter tries to start, but no matter what the compatibility settings are, it tries to start, then after 2-5 seconds just closes the game before any credits or loading screens started.
BionicDog 2018-05-08 1 point
At the end of the installation instructions it says "Launch Blade Runner using BLADE2012.EXE". My installation is not creating a file called 'BLADE2012.exe', only 'BLADE.EXE'. When I run that I get a black screen and nothing happens. Any ideas?
BionicDog 2018-05-08 0 point
You need to mount the first CD image and then run 'Blade-Runner_Fix_Win_EN.exe' from your hard drive and follow the instructions. Don't try to run anything from the disc image.
Morpheus 2018-04-06 0 point
It says that it..."...can not start or run due to incompatibility with 64-bit versions of Windows."
So, is there a compatible 64-bit version of this game or will the patch or will one of the fixes work to make it installable & playable? And if one of those files takes care of this issue, then, since the install won't run, I have to run that file first, right? And which specific file is that?
I want to make sure I get this right!
Shannon 2018-03-23 3 points
Hey the game works but for some reason the screen is really tiny. any idea on how to fix this?
Me 2018-03-21 1 point
The installer is in a seperate download, scroll down to the GAME EXTRAS section.
inter 2018-03-20 -1 point
Where is the installer, looked through the file and all ISO's but still cant fined it?
SpiderMwa 2017-10-14 6 points
This is a fantastic adventure game, with multiple endings, from Westwood Studios, makers of the Command & Conquer series. There is even an easter egg to C&C in the game. I've always liked this game a lot, great atmosphere, good story and fun characters. Highly recommended if you love the original movie.
Write a comment
Share your gamer memories, help others to run the game or comment anything you'd like. If you have trouble to run Blade Runner (Windows), read the abandonware guide first!
Download Blade Runner Windows
We may have multiple downloads for few games when different versions are available. Also, we try to upload manuals and extra documentations when possible. If the manual is missing and you own the original manual, please contact us!
Just one click to download at full speed!
Various files to help you run Blade Runner, apply patchs, fixes, maps or miscellaneous utilities.