Windows - 2005
Description of Daemonica
If you haven't played Daemonica or want to try this adventure video game, download it now for free! Published in 2005 by Akella, CINEMAX, s. r. o., Frogster Interactive Pictures AG, Meridian4, Inc., Daemonica (aka 魔鬼) was an above-average fantasy title in its time.
How to play Daemonica Windows
English version of the game doesn't have DRM protection and doesn't require the disc for launch. Some retail versions (Polish, Russian) had StarForce DRM protection, make sure to use NoCD for that versions.
We also leave exe-file from English version as NoCD (
Daemonica_NoCD_Win_EN.zip), you can try to use it if your version of the game has DRM and you can't find NoCD for it
The game with patch 1.1 has been tested on Windows 7 64-bit and Windows 10, it works but requires additional "tinkering". Check our Guide and Notes for more information how to launch the game on modern systems
Install & play guide (for English version):
- Mount the disc image. You will need the utility for mounting disc image files, like WinCDEmu, UltraISO, Alcohol 52%/Alcohol 120% or Daemon Tools Lite
- Install the game
- When you installed the game - reboot your computer, for the correct work of the game
- Also it is recommended to install DirectX 9 from the disc (if you're using Windows 10 - enable DirectPlay, read this or this guide how to do it)
- After that install the patch version 1.1 for English version. This patch is only for English version, don't try to install it on other languages!
- Open the directory with the game and find Daemonica.exe and Daemonica-AltFont.exe. Right click on both exe-files - Properties - Compatibility - Set "Run this app in compatibility mode with Windows 2000 or XP" and "Run as administrator"
- Launch the game and play. If the game doesn't work in compatibility mode with Windows XP - try to launch it in compatibility mode with other version of Windows (98, 2000 or Vista)
The game does not work correctly on modern systems, here are a few ways to get it running. All methods require that your graphics card supports DirectX 9, and you must have all Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable packages. Also, check this very useful thread where users share advices how to run the game on modern systems
How to launch the game on modern systems:
- If you get error D3DError_invalidcall - go to
Daemonica/datafolder and open daemonica.cfg in Notepad. Change
video_modeto 7, 8, 9, 10 or 11 (try different variants). After that launch the game and press Alt+Enter to run the game in windowed mode. Skip intro videos by pressing Esc button. After that the game should work in fullscreen mode with no errors
- Or download WineD3D and copy d3d9.dll and wine3d.dll in the folder with the game. The game with that DLLs was tested on Windows 10, works with no problem. Note that if the game didn't work with latest version of WineD3D - try older versions of WineD3D, perhaps it will work. Check this thread for more details
- Also, you can try to launch the game through DxWnd utility, check this thread for advice
- Another variant - launching the game through dgVoodoo utility: copy the dll-files from the MS/x86 folder, dgVoodooCpl.exe and dgVoodoo.conf to the game folder, then launch dgVoodooCpl.exe to change dgVoodoo settings, after that run the game from Daemonica.exe and Daemonica-AltFont.exe. If you get error when you run the game with dgVoodoo - try to use combination of dgVoodoo and d3d9 wrapper by ThirteenAG (just replace dgVoodoo's d3d9.dll by ThirteenAG's d3d9.dll)
- If none of the methods helped - run the game on Virtual Machine with old Windows (Win98, Win2000 or WinXP), that method works for 100% (if your graphics card support DirectX 9, of course)
- If you have troubles with launch of the game on Windows 7 - disable Game Explorer, read this guide how to do that
- For users of Windows 64-bit systems: if the game doesn't work after you launched it - open Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del by default) and check for game process and rundll32.exe. Close game process but don't touch rundll32.exe (it's a Windows app for running old apps from 32-bit operational systems, most old games running through rundll32.exe). Now try to launch the game again, it must work. Don't forget to close rundll32.exe process in Task Manager after finishing playing
- The game works on DirectX 9, so if you're using Windows 8, 8.1, 10 or 11 - you probably will need to enable DirectPlay: Go to Control Panel, and select 'Programs'. Select 'Turn Windows features on and off', click on 'Legacy Components' and check the box 'DirectPlay'. Select OK, once the installation is done, restart your computer
- Patch 1.1 for English version adds alternative font (Times New Roman) for in-game texts. If you don't like standard font - launch the game from Daemonica-AltFont.exe to play the game with alternative font
- Spanish translation patch must be installed over English version 1.1. If you install the patch 1.1 after Spanish translation patch - patch changes in-game fonts, so all in-game text will be broken
- You may stuck on random in-game bug: when an empty bucket was filled with water from a well, alchemical tools disappeared from the inventory, but in addition to the already full bucket, there was also an empty one. The only fix to bypass that bug - to load savegame from earlier point, so make savegames often
- Don't forget to check PCGamingWiki if you have troubles!
Captures and Snapshots
Comments and reviews
There is no comment nor review for this game at the moment.
Write a comment
Share your gamer memories, help others to run the game or comment anything you'd like. If you have trouble to run Daemonica (Windows) , read the abandonware guide first!
We may have multiple downloads for few games when different versions are available. Also, we try to upload manuals and extra documentation when possible. If you have additional files to contribute or have the game in another language, please contact us!
Various files to help you run Daemonica, apply patches, fixes, maps or miscellaneous utilities.
Fellow retro gamers also downloaded these games: