Atari 8-bit - 1979
Also available on: Atari ST
Description of Star Raiders
In 1979, Atari, Inc. publishes Star Raiders on Atari 8-bit. Also published on Atari ST, this action, strategy and simulation game is abandonware and is set in an arcade, sci-fi / futuristic, shooter, space flight and space combat.
Captures and Snapshots
Comments and reviews
ALemming 2020-10-12 0 point Atari 8-bit version
Install & Use Guide
On Windows 10, tested 12/10/2020
Download All You Will Need:
0. Download the emulator and the game:
a) Info on the emulator: https://atari800.github.io/index.html
b) The emulator: https://github.com/atari800/atari800/releases
! Scroll down to Assets, it's the 'atari800-4.2.0-win32-sdl.zip' file.
c) Download the game from this site.
Install The Emulator And Game:
1. Unzip the 'atari800-4.2.0-win32-sdl.zip' file to some folder of your choice.
2. Unzip the 'Star-Raiders_Atari-8-bit_EN.zip' file.
3. Two new .zip files will appear. Further extract the "Star Raiders (1979)(Atari)(US)[k-file].zip" file, until you have a .atr file.
3. Then copy-paste the "Star Raiders (1979)(Atari)(US)[k-file].atr" file to the same folder as the atari800.exe file.
4. Open your command prompt.
How to do that: https://www.howtogeek.com/235101/10-ways-to-open-the-command-prompt-in-windows-10/#:~:text=Open%20Command%20Prompt%20from%20the,open%20an%20administrator%20Command%20Prompt.
5. Navigate to the folder containing the atari800.exe and .atr files.
Windows CMD navigation EXAMPLE 'cd C:Users\UserName\SomeFolder\Atari800Folder\'
6. Once you've navigated to that folder run the emulator executable, just type 'atari800.exe' and enter.
7. This will start up the emulator. Now press F1 to enter the emulator menu.
8. Navigate down to "Controller Configuration" and press enter.
9. Make sure that "Enable Keyboard Joystick 1" is set to yes.
10. Select "Define layout of keyboard joystick 1" and press enter.
11. A small prompt will open. This is what you will use to emulate an Atari joystick with your keyboard.
Set keys for left, up, right, down and fire. I personally prefer the arrow keys and spacebar.
12. Press escape until you are back at the main emulator menu.
13. Select "Emulator Configuration" and hit enter.
14. Select "Save Configuration File" - this will save the keyboard configuration you just made.
15. Close the emulator.
16. Back in your command prompt enter this command:
'atari800.exe -atari "Star Raiders (1979)(Atari)(US)[k-file].atr' and enter.
17. Now, if all is well, the game should start.
Select your game difficulty level with F3 (Select) and start a level by pressing F4 (Start) right after you have selected your difficulty.
Some Basic Controls:
You can fly your ship and shoot using the controls you set earlier.
By default on this emulator these are 4,8,6,5 and the ctrl.
C - Show cursor.
F - Ship front view.
A - Ship back view.
* I suggest going through the manual for the game.
You can find it here: https://oldgamesdownload.com/wp-content/uploads/Star_Raiders_Manual_Atari-8-bit_EN.pdf
Good Luck - I hope you enjoy!
RedhorseNj 2020-08-08 0 point
This By Far is the Greatest most sought after Atari Game of All time besides Pac Man.Star Raiders and Star Raiders 2 should be restored to the Nintendo Switch as a Collection. The new Star Raiders on Steam is an Insult and I don't Understand how those People could get away with Stealing the Name of Star Raiders a Classic and peddling a Garbage game that does not look or play like Star Raiders the Original. What a Rip Off. The Designers stole the Name and adding Insult to injury and made a terrible lack luster game that should be free ware and a different name. They should be sued if anything for saying Star Raiders. Itis no where near Star Raider Quality.
The Atari 2600 Star Raiders Version is way more exciting than the Steam Version.
Write a comment
Share your gamer memories, help others to run the game or comment anything you'd like. If you have trouble to run Star Raiders (Atari 8-bit), read the abandonware guide first!
Download Star Raiders
We may have multiple downloads for few games when different versions are available. Also, we try to upload manuals and extra documentations when possible. If the manual is missing and you own the original manual, please contact us!
Just one click to download at full speed!
Atari 8-bit ROM
Atari ST ROM
Fellow retro gamers also downloaded these games: