Windows - 2005
Description of Area-51
Description from the publisher:
Area 51 is a great aracde shooter that's bringing its action and challenge home to you. You'll lead a special unit into the famous Area 51 and discover just what's really lurking in that mytserious, classified desert base. An infectious mutagen has given players alien-enhanced physical abilities but is slowly transforming them into an alien. They must find the cure before it's too late and their humanity is lost. Face off against a horde of horrific creatures - and secure Area 51!
Area 51 has few fan-made compilations with fixes and patches:
- Project Dreamland created by AndrewMD5 - it is updated version of the game with new launcher, it fixes many old bugs and improves performance of the game on modern PCs
- Area 51 Preservation Project - it is compilation of patches, fixes and DirectX 9 wrappers that was made by Lucas C, to improve performance of the game, solve cutscene stutters, and cap FPS to fix physics; it can be installed over original game or Project Dreamland
- Area 51 installer created by Area 51 Online community
We made installation guides for all versions, so please check it out below
How to play Area-51 Windows
The game with patch 1.2 has been tested on Windows 7 64-bit and Windows 10, works okay. The game supports widescreen. You may encounter some issues while playing, so here's our guide how to play Area 51 on modern systems.
Also, you cannot install the game directly from the original discs on Windows 7 and newer OS, if you want to install the retail version of the game (it released on 1 DVD/3 CDs) - follow this guide on PCGamingWiki. Retail version of the game was protected by infamous StarForce DRM, so don't launch the game right after installation, first install NoCD.
Here's some methods how to install the game other ways:
Install & play guide:
- Download and run Setup. It is installer for the free version that was distributed by US Air Force
- Install the game
- After you installed the game - install the patch 1.2 for US version (the patch is inside the archive)
- Optionally install FOV fix (instructions inside the archive)
- Open the directory with the game and find A51.exe. Right click on A51.exe - Properties - Compatibility - Set "Run this app in compatibility mode with Windows 2000 or XP" and "Run as administrator"
- Launch the game and play. If the game doesn't work - try to launch the game, then open Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del by default) and check for processes A51.exe and rundll32.exe. Close A51.exe but don't touch rundll32.exe (it's a Windows app for running old apps from 32-bit operational systems, most old games running through rundll32.exe). Now try to launch the game again, it must work. Don't forget to close rundll32.exe process in Task Manager after finishing playing
- That way you will get clean game without any fixes. Alternatevily, you can run the Full-Rip (it is already pre-installed game). Full-Rip was created by Archive.org user LividBunny, please visit this page for more details
- It is highly recommended to install Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for the correct work of the game
- Also it is recommended to install RAD Video Tools and K-Lite Codec Pack for the correct work of in-game videos
- The game works on DirectX 9, so if you're using Windows 8, 8.1, 10 or 11 - you need to enable DirectPlay: Go to Control Panel, and select 'Programs'. Select 'Turn Windows features on and off', click on 'Legacy Components' and check the box 'DirectPlay'. Select OK, once the installation is done, restart your computer
- By default the game has FOV = 60, you can change it by using FOV fix. Simply copy files from the archive to main game directory, then open Settings.ini and set desired FOV
- On some systems lighting will be broken and all textures will be black. This is a DirectX 9 issue, use WineD3D or dgVoodoo to fix it. For more details check PCGamingWiki
- The game doesn't have FPS cap, which can result in broken in-game physics if the game runs on more than 60 FPS. You need to limit game's framerate, there's 2 methods to do that:
- Don't forget to check PCGamingWiki page if you have troubles, it is very useful
Install & play guide for Project Dreamland:
- Download Project Dreamland from our page
- Unzip the archive and launch Area51-Launcher.exe
- If the launcher doesn't work and stuck in an endless loop verifying the game's files, do the next: go to
Project Dreamland/resources/app/gamefolder and create desktop shortcut for A51.exe. Then click right mouse button on that shortcut, select Properties and add following launch parameter:
--launcher(it should looks like
Project Dreamland/resources/app/game/A51.exe --launcher)
- Project Dreamland is using dgVoodoo to make the game work on modern systems without troubles. If you want you can change dgVoodoo settings in dgVoodooCpl.exe, it is located in
- Project Dreamland already has 60 FPS limit, the framerate was capped through dgVoodoo
- Visit GitHub page and ModDB for more information about Project Dreamland
Note: Area 51 Preservation Project is using DirectX 9 wrappers that also required Vulkan API installed. If you don't have it - download it from here(click on "Latest Runtime/Zip"). Also, if you have laptop with integrated AMD graphics - you may experience some troubles. In that case use dgVoodoo wrapper instead of Preservation Project wrappers
Area 51 installer created by Area 51 Online community can be downloaded on Itch.io, that version is the best if you want to play in multiplayer. For more information visit Area 51 Online community website or their Discord server
Captures and Snapshots
Comments and reviews
DeathCold 2023-11-09 0 point
Works on Windows 10 22H2 BUT it lags like hell. Like, from the slideshow cutscenes, to in-game cutscenes and gameplay - everything lags big time. And I have tried different compatibility modes and some stuff from PC Gaming Wiki, but nothing helps but only makes it worse. So yeah, wish I could play this game, because this is my favorite game from back in the days, but it does not work properly.
t25 2023-10-21 0 point
I need a tutorial video on how to safely combine project dreamland and the preservation project.
t25 2023-10-21 0 point
Also the Ethan cole slideshow cutscenes' audio keeps looping after each sentence and my frame rate keeps dipping at times. How do I fix that?
t25 2023-10-19 0 point
I got into the game now. Fov resets after the 2nd cutscene is there a way to keep the fov intact?
Simon 2023-07-19 2 points
Hello.... first off all thank you for your work, brilliant work, can ask i ask u the Project Dreamland game includ all Game Extras what u have here at download area?
i ask u if i must to download some extras from u to apply or this have already everything applied.... thank for your response in advance
timoteogon 2023-06-19 0 point
When I start playing, the game appears dark, without light. I have Windows 11 and an RX 6500 XT.
Anony 2023-06-15 1 point
Can't get Project Dreamland to start
It has the "Verifying Files.." loop and "A51.exe --launcher" to shortcut won't do anything.
SamboNZ 2023-02-04 1 point
Thanks for the Project Dreamland download. It works perfectly on Win10 (Feb 2023)!
admin 2023-01-26 4 points
Project Dreamland is pre-installed Area 51 with some fixes. It includes full game and doesn't require the disc for launch. You can just download it & run
~ 2023-01-25 1 point
I want to ask 2 things:-
1- Setup below project dreamland is the DRM free setup?
2- Does project dreamland have base game or only mod?
admin 2023-01-21 0 point
We have updated the game, added DRM-free Setup and Full-Rip, plus Project Dreamland and Area 51 Preservation Project patch that should help you to run the game on modern systems.
We made a big guide how to install & play the game on modern machines, please don't forget to check it out.
P.S. We recommend you not to try to install retail version (it released on 3 CDs/1 DVD) if you don't have experience with StarForce DRM; StarForce DRM doesn't work on Windows 7 and newer OS and can break your PC
Beppe 2023-01-21 0 point
To set italan language, edit the file LangConfig.ini, and substitute
StarForceIsATROJANVIRUS 2023-01-02 -1 point
Never install this for any reason whatsoever, I did and I had to reinstall windows.
alex 2022-12-26 -1 point
Game runs fine, missing a few cutscenes most notably the last one but the game is fun
Cleber-x 2022-09-28 0 point
Windows 10 x64 funcionando tranquilo.
Pra funcionar, fiz o passo a passo do "F0XTR0X": Abrir o prompt de comando, digitar a letra do "disco" (no meu caso, a ISO foi montada na F) seguido de dois pontos e dá enter. Fica: F:
Depois digitar o comando: msiexec /i "area 51(R).msi" /qb
Depois pesquisei no Google mesmo o patch que o "GVM/2K9-UCREST" falou: (patch version 1.1.89007).
Na instalação deu erro na hora de substituir o A51.exe na pasta do game. Eu abrir o arquivo do patch pelo WinRAR, extrai o A51.exe do patch e substituir manualmente na pasta origem onde o game está instalado. Após isso, funcionou perfeito!
Yup ung lee 2022-08-30 0 point
Game wont start and it keeps saying I need windows 95 in order to run the game
Leonardo 2022-06-08 0 point
beck_454 vc tem que achar dois braços e usar os dois ao mesmo tempo, eu acho que é isso, faz muito tempo que joguei
GvM/2k9-UCrest 2022-01-02 0 point
@YOUNG GAMER, In the case of the Starforce protection of the game, the latest official patch (patch version 1.1.89007) must be applied. This patch also makes the retail version DRM-Free. Regarding the interruption when installing, you can use this patch by following the instructions given in the link: https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/profile/6098-ucrest/?status=82&type=status
* It is important to note that this patch is for the 1DVD version. In any case, the first thing to do is to mount the disc image and then run the patch. Select the installation language and wait for the process to finish. Finally, the update patch (patch version 1.1.89007) is downloaded and the game is no longer protected by Starforce and DRM-Free.
alien 2021-10-02 1 point
To play the game now. Just download from ModDB free version of the game, and latest patch for retail version and extract patch content into free version.
RedCosmonaut 2021-09-15 2 points
A truly excellent game. First time through, very spooky and challenging. One of the best ever, I hope you enjoy it too
Young Gamer 2021-08-13 1 point
Downloaded the ISO version 1.84 GB,but installer says it was interrupted,and game does not install.
beck_454 2021-06-23 1 point
olá boa noite esse jogo área 51 naquela fase em que ele tem pegar o braço do soldado morto pra abrir a porta, fica bugando não abre tentem me ajudar com bug por favor.
ElAngel1389 2021-02-24 2 points
This game brings back so many memories. it was certainly ahead of its time. As a child I didn't as much attention as I could have to the story but now I have the opportunity to relive this gem and get to know the "lore" if you will. The no install version seems to work fine for me even the jump function works as it should. I wish this had been more popular than it was.
Poopymouth 2021-01-23 0 point
Why no audio on the No install version? I played this game on PS2 as a child and sucked ass but I really want to get farther into it. Pls help :(
GvM/2k9-UCrest 2021-01-07 1 point
I share two links:
- The DVD image of the videogame ( https://archive.org/details/a-51-pcdvd-disk_efigs ).
- The patch to install the video game in 64bits Windows systems ( https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/profile/6098-ucrest/ ).
Tested on Windows7, 8, 8.1 and 10 x64.
Bea_Arthur 2020-12-09 1 point
I remember enjoying this one more than the Blacksite : Area 51 successor.
F0xTr0x 2020-10-03 4 points
For people having trouble getting the ISO to install:
With Area 51 Disc 1 in the cd\dvd drive, open a command prompt window. Type in the letter of the drive, followed by a colon and press Enter. You should now have a prompt starting with the drive letter.
Type in the following command line and press Enter:msiexec /i "area 51(R).msi" /qb
Also I had to change the compatibility mode to Win XP SP2.
Hope this helps someone.
rain 2020-09-19 2 points
anyone having trouble with jumping. its because of framerate. have to lock it or physics in game are messed up.
ThotDestroyer 2020-04-10 -1 point
Its a pretty awesome game, but the jump command doesn't really work that well.
Joe Stalin 2020-04-07 2 points
it wont install !! the setup fails and it says that it was interrupted, i have windows 10 x64 what should i do please?
Benny 2020-02-03 1 point
Personally, it would be just as good if someone were to post the sequel, BlackSite here as well.
Ethan Cole 2019-08-04 11 points
This game was like the movie Terminator 2. Way ahead of it's time. A very good shooter, exciting and smooth running. This might also be the most realistic game that describes the actual Area 51. I honestly do not have anything negative to say about it.
Cain 2019-06-19 2 points
Some of the cutscenes are not working, the intro, the outro... all the cutscene that does not use the in-game ressources
Gidbug 2019-06-05 0 point
Loved this game as a kid, had rented it on ps2 and it was just fun to play through.
bhlaab 2019-04-23 3 points
Having a framerate in excess of 100fps breaks your ability to jump. Find some way to force 60fps to fix it.
sora 2019-04-10 2 points
I got the no install version, for some reason the jump action refuses to work? i can't get past a part because I can't jump. anyone have a fix on this?
DasAntihero 2019-01-26 0 point
I remember playing this in 2007 as a 6-year-old and my older brother was spooked of it. We revisited it years later, as our younger selves didn't get far into it past the mutagen part, and I have to say it holds up nicely. The game is rather difficult at times but is nonetheless an experience.
BigBob 2018-10-19 2 points
This review refers to the No Installation version.
Area 51 is a FPS gem from 2005 that features high quality graphics and superb audio even when run on PCs with no video card. The visuals are realistic and enhance the game's immersion. Combined with its intense sound design, the results are exciting and creepy. One can hear mutants and other nasty bots stalking you through the corridors. Unlike most single player games, your squad's bots are fun to be alongside and useful during the many high energy fights through the underground facility. The campaign is therefore like a series of multiplayer matches. Best of all, Area 51 is a sci-fi and light horror title that combines the thrill of early shooters with the realism of Halo but with graphics that are respectable to this day.
Myk 2018-08-20 2 points
The installer doesn't work, it gives the message that it was interrupted, but it happens as soon as you click the Install button and nothing has even started to install.
Write a comment
Share your gamer memories, help others to run the game or comment anything you'd like. If you have trouble to run Area-51 (Windows) , read the abandonware guide first!
We may have multiple downloads for few games when different versions are available. Also, we try to upload manuals and extra documentation when possible. If you have additional files to contribute or have the game in another language, please contact us!
Various files to help you run Area-51, apply patches, fixes, maps or miscellaneous utilities.
Fellow retro gamers also downloaded these games: