Description of Mad Dog McCree
Mad Dog McCree is a fun Western romp that introduces the popular "rail shooter" genre in arcades to PC gamers. The premise: become the lawman and clear the town of Mad Dog McCree and his gang. Think of Virtua Cop but with a Western setting and FMV, and you'll have a good idea of how Mad Dog plays.
As a conversion from American Laser Games' own arcade game created in 1990, Mad Dog McCree is very faithful to a fault. It is very short-- expert gamers will be able to finish the game in only a few hours, and even beginners will likely spend no more than 10 with the game. However, the full-motion video clips full of funny acting makes the game quite enjoyable, especially on the first run-through.
When it was first released, the game was criticized for having very unresponsive mouse controls (which you use to fire your pistol), but this isn't a problem anymore when you play the game on today's computers-- anything from 486DX 33Mhz and up will do fine.
With a lot of over-the-top acting (much of which is intentional) and some freedom of movement (e.g. you can often pick the location you want to go next), Mad Dog McCree is a fun, unassuming shooter that is enjoyable for as long (or short) as it lasts. Arguably this first entry in American Laser Games' long line of FMV shooters is the best of the lot. Thumbs up, but don't expect an epic or "serious" game by any means ;)
Review By HOTUD
Comments and reviews
Robotas 2022-04-23 0 point
First the reload comment I mentioned before is only for the DOS version. Now if you want to play this game with the Best Video Quality and Best Performance, play the Windows version without any emulator. Just download the ISO file, unpack it (winrar will do) to a game directory, and play the MDM.EXE file even without the compability mode. I'm playing it in Windows 8.1 Pro and the FMV quality is still 320x240 at 30fps but it looks so fluid like a 60fps. I think its the best you can get nowadays until someone made a anniversary edition or enhanced version of this FMV classic.
Robotas 2022-04-22 0 point
To reload the weapon, put the cursor on the middle down of the screen, the icon change to "gun down" then click the right mouse button.
shaned 2022-01-06 1 point Windows version
I've d/l MadDog McCree but can't reload the ammo .. other functions appear to be working. I'm using the Windows version and DosBox on a Windows 10 OS laptop. How do I reload the ammo on this game? I've tried letter R and menu options but still not working.
Stranger 2022-01-01 0 point Windows version
One of the best action games that I have ever played. Keep up the good work
TONY 2021-04-02 1 point Windows version
Descargue el juego para ejecutarlo con Windows 10, pero no tiene imagen, sí audio. Una sola vez me mostró imagenes. Luego solo audio.
Me pueden ayudar???? Gracias.
The Pardoner 2018-08-03 10 points
Oh god is this the "Huhuh yew missed that one. Try another!" game??
Falcon 2018-07-04 0 point Mac version
If you want to try this on Sierra/High Sierra, do following steps:
1. Download the MacOS9 emulator (classic environment is since Sierra removed) on http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/macos9osx.html and put the MacOS9 application in to your Applications folder.
2. Extract de .sit file so the file "Mad Dog McCree.toast" is extracted.
3. Drop the .toast file on the MacOS 9 application icon in applications (finder)
4. Now MacOS9 will startup and the .toast file is copied to the MacOS9 desktop. (First starting up crashed at my Mac, second time it started to the desktop)
5. Open the .toast file on the MacOS9 desktop and a mounting application is started.
6. Hit the mount-button (first time it did crashed MacOS9.. you can fix this to choose first Data - select the .toast file en open - mount)
7. Now the .toast is mounted and you can see a folder "Large" - open - double click Mad Dog McCree.
8. Now you will see the game is starting.. but the video's are not working. This is because a Quicktime extensions are not loaded in MacOS9
9. Hit the Apple Icon in the upper-left corner - Control Panels - Extension Manager, install all QuickTime extensions avaible (VR, FireWire etcetra) and restart MacOS9.
10. Start Mad Dog McCree again and it works! :-)
KC 2018-04-12 3 points DOS version
I loaded the game through Boxer, and the game starts OK, but I keep getting an error during play and the game freezes. The error I get is: PP_Sound at 492 ARG=16384 which I suspect is something with the sound. But I have it set on SoundBlaster as instructed by Boxer, and there are few options with this game anyway.
Buggy 2018-03-09 3 points DOS version
first command : mount e e:\ -t cdrom then cd e: //suppose you have mounted your iso on e. second command: mount c c:\ ,third command: install.exe. Now that you have installed it. run maddog.exe of installed directory which ends us with: maddog.exe command
BAYNINER 2017-10-07 -5 points DOS version
Can you be a little more specific on how to mount the iso to a virtual drive, and then how to mount that said drive in dosbox? I'm sorry I'm a total noob when it comes to this stuff
icon31337 2017-09-03 1 point
I played this game when I was a kid. It was so intimidating. I remember completing it.
Solution: Cannot open \photo7\...blow.8b 2017-09-02 1 point DOS version
In host os mount maddog iso to a virtual drive , then in dosbox mount the virtual drive as cd drive. Install from disc and play.
Gunguy500 2016-06-26 4 points DOS version
"Cannot open file \photo7\maddog\blow.8b, sound file missing"
Any way to fix this?
Hulsie 2015-05-02 0 point DOS version
This game is freakin' hilarious. I love the acting. I hope it gets remastered/re-released some day.
Write a comment
Share your gamer memories, help others to run the game or comment anything you'd like. If you have trouble to run Mad Dog McCree, read the abandonware guide first!
Download Mad Dog McCree
We may have multiple downloads for few games when different versions are available. Also, we try to upload manuals and extra documentation when possible. If you have additional files to contribute or have the game in another language, please contact us!
- Year: 2002
- Publisher: 1C Company, Digital Leisure Inc., Selectsoft Publishing
- Developer: American Laser Games, Inc., Digital Leisure Inc.
Fellow retro gamers also downloaded these games: